Pink Living Room Becomes a Classic Library

I am sitting back on my sofa with my computer on my lap.  Next to me is a giant slice of pumpkin pie that I made  earlier tonight with my daughter (we used the easy recipe on the back of a can of Farmers Market Organic Canned Pumpkin I picked up at Walmart while getting Halloween candy (p.s. i used a pre-made graham cracker crust-mmmm & easy).  I am blogging and catching up on all the Nate Berkus Show segments I missed.  Nate is my long time crush and I am so impressed with how many wonderful ideas and creative designs he showcases through fellow designers, decorators, and DIYers everyday.  If you haven't seen his show, it deserves your attention.   Even if it is just to check out his 'sweet as sugar' smile.

Speaking of grins, I wrapped up a living room renovation for a client, transforming it into a library that makes me so happy.  This room has been through so much.  This wasn't just a face lift; it was a head to toe surgery going from a traditional front living room that was never used, into a room that feels the love everyday!  If you don't have a purpose for a room it becomes a dumping ground-poor room.  

I had so much fun working with Linda and Wayne on this project.  Afterward Linda and I sat in the library and chatted for a long time.  The comfy seating, the glow of the fireplace and the ambient lighting made me want to stay, perched in the wing chair, then the leather sofa, all day.  During the reno process I blogged about the materials used- click here to see the materials used "We Are So Over Our Living Room".  

BEFORE
AFTER
BEFORE
AFTER
BEFORE

AFTER


The inspiration for the room became the oversized wingback chair floral fabric.  When it came to designing the window treatments, I did not want to use anything that would compete with them.  So we brought in these gorgeous powder blue criss cross chanille pattern fabric drapes with medallion fringe dot embellishments.  Then pulled them back with 14" jeweled tassle tie backs.
A giant personal touch in the library is the display of beautiful plants photographed by Linda and Waynes' daughter.
This space needed to be fitted for the gas fireplace so it was really important to add architectural detail around it so it felt like it had always been there.  When it arrived it was long and had a 2' mantle BUT the niche we created above it fills in the emptiness and adds drama.  The water feature was something Linda and Wayne always wanted.  It is all the little soothing touches like this, the variety of lighting, the warm tones of the wood, and softness of the furniture, that makes you want to be in this room......and feel mmmmmmmm.

Comments