Lodge Style Makeover for a Master Bedroom



I am the daughter of a true nature lover. From an early age my family would take our annual July vacation, camping near North Lake and Taconic Lake in NY. Dad made us oatmeal pancakes with berries we picked near our tent, and we spent our days catching turtles, lizards and frogs. To me there is something so romantic about being near nature, the smell of the open air, and I still love the sound of zippering up a sleeping bag. Don't get me wrong, I love living it up in luxurious hotels also. Maybe a good fit for me is a log cabin. So charming, cozy and full of fine craftsmanship (I love the one pictured above). My dream log cabin would be sitting next to a lake just like a scene out of On Golden Pond, and I would be lying in my hammock with a good novel, watching the sun go down. The inside of my log cabin would be full of arts and craft style furniture and the colors on the walls would feel warm. There would be lots of stone and finishes that feel natural. And of course a big beautiful fireplace so I could snuggle up to it wrapped in my quilt with a mug of hot chocolate full of marshmallows!

Lodge Style can be both rustic and chic. Resorts that use a Lodge style for their suites make sure their bedding is lush and furniture is comfy. So when Scott and Karen, my skilled DIY clients in Whitehall PA asked me to create a design plan for their master bedroom that would transport them to their dream lodge every night, I was up for the challenge, hot chocolate in hand! 
BEFORE

AFTER
What a transformation-from floor to ceiling! The new paint colors create the scene, and the natural looking furniture pieces, upholstery, traditional fabrics, and accents, add that rustic comfy charm. To find out more about my initial design and see how I dealt with the angled walls and entrances to the eaves, click here.

The far end of the bedroom was just calling for a cozy reading nook. Soft fabrics, mission style recliners, mood lighting, and a very cute little deer,  give the space Lodge appeal.


BEFORE
AFTER

All the original furniture stayed in the bedroom but the pulls were changed to fun hammered oil bronze swirl knobs. Some of the pieces were then moved around for a more cohesive look. And of course an electric fireplace was added. There were so many interesting fireplaces to choose from, but this one made me say 'wow'. It was so easy to install also.  

Total rustic luxury! 

Comments