Master Bedroom Becomes A Lodge Retreat

When my clients, Scott and Karen, asked me to design a master bedroom that brought in their love of lodge style, full of warm colors and rustic pieces, I was up for the challenge.  I wanted them to feel like they were at a resort in the woods that included luxurious bedding and fun natural accents.  The space is in a cape style home so it includes a number of angled walls and entrances to the eaves.  I had so much fun on this project and was very excited to present my design plan to them.  I had to use an extra big board to hold all the ideas and products I included.  Here are some of my ideas:

To erase wall angles, I will paint it all one color, so a warm golden yellow will go on all walls and ceiling, except the two end walls, which will be painted in a barn red.  And what lodge wouldn't be complete without a fireplace.  This one is electric so it is simple to set up, not requiring structural changes, and really adds to our look.

The windows and sliding glass door will get striped drapes which bring in greens, golds, browns, and reds, and two comfy chairs will be covered in this beautiful rich pattern.
Although the bed had a headboard and footboard made of rod iron and wood, I wanted to create more texture and drama. I proposed framing out the wall behind the bed using 1x3s and painting it in a deep dark chocolate (all the trim and doors will also be painted in this chocolate color -yum!). The grasscloth wallpaper you see below, which contains lots of reds, golds, and tans, will fill the center of the frame.  Dark brown bamboo wall arm sconces will be hung above either end table leaving the table tops free for lots of woodsy novels.
I didn't just want Scott and Karen to have that lodge feel around them.  I wanted them to lye in bed and feel it above them, so I included 2 fans with antler chandeliers.
And of course, faux wood beams, which are so easy to put up. 

I will share the Before and After photos of this soon-to-be romantic lodge getaway bedroom suite!

Comments