Small Awkward Living Room Becomes Beautiful

I remember meeting Diane and Dan for the first time.  The moment I walked in their front door I could see the issues at hand.  I walked right into their living room, which was split into two awkward spaces.  One small area to the right of the door, and one small area to the left.  With a staircase directly in front of the door. Diane and Dan didn't know what to do with this layout.  After sitting with the couple and finding out their wish list of functions and style (they get away to top island resorts whenever they can), I set to work on a plan that would treat these spaces separately yet still be cohesive and feel larger then they are. 

BEFORE

AFTER

I let the furnishings do all the talking, using a creamy wall paint.  I didn't want to overcrowd the spaces, so I chose a few large pieces that grounded the areas (a cluttering of small pieces dwarf small spaces further).  I added pieces with glass, mirror, and silver finishes, to keep the area light and airy, yet high end.

I brought the eye up using very slight horizontal stripe wall treatment, which also helped make a distinction between this space and the one across from it.  I used floor to ceiling drapes, and hung them wider than the windows to make them feel larger.

Pops of color and lots of shine give life to small spaces.  These fun bright pillows call you into the room.
BEFORE
AFTER
I re-arranged the awkward seating layout to a more inviting and useful space.  The new leather sofa is very large and deep, yet fits right in.  The coffee and end table are quite large as well (they are beauties!-the reclaimed wood looks and feels like driftwood), but don't look like they are because of their airy thin metal bases.   Here is another good tip for making small spaces feel large-USE BIG ARTWORK.  My clients are well versed with my motto 'go big or go home'. Large pieces with a specific point of view makes an impact and read as a 'wow' factor.

BEFORE

AFTER
This new console houses all the clutter in this small space.  And the fun armless chair next to it stops your eye from drifting up those stairs.

We had so much fun working together that Diane and Dan (seated above) asked me to help them with their kitchen.  Wait until you see what we did with that small awkward space!!!

Comments

Love it. What paint color did you use for your stripes?
I have done this wall for other clients and it's always a hit. The colors I used for this stripe treatment are Sherwin Williams 'wool skein' and 'relaxed khaki.:)
One look at this post and I am now your new loyal follower! Love your design, love your style, love your blog! Hey if you get a chance, come by and visit me at my blog (and make sure to say hi!) I look forward to receiving all your posts in my inbox from now on! :) Cath from Home is Where my Heart is http://cathhasablog.blogspot.com/
Anonymous said…
Where did you get your curtains at?
Dear Anonymous, the drapes are custom made. They are silk.