Tikkun OIam's First Good Deed is A HUGE Success

Tikkun Olam is hebrew for 'repairing the world'.  It is now also the name of a new committee dedicated to helping people in need.  I had been ready to do something good for my community for a long time.  This recession has hit us all so hard.  I approached the Jewish Federation in my area, in November of 2009, and founded Tikkun Olam, the social action branch of the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley's Young Adult Division (YAD).  There are nine of us, all amazing, caring, friends, committed to three worthwhile projects a year. 

We just completed our FIRST good deed-a winter wear drive benefitting Central Elementary School's clothing closet and the United Way.  Twice a month anyone from the community can get the outerwear items from this closet and they were running low on coats........well we more than filled their need.  We raised over 700 coats and over 200 gloves, hats, boots, and scarves.  Today we dropped off all of our items at the elementary school and we were thanked by the asst. principal, the clothing closet program manager, and United Way spokesperson.  It was such a wonderfully fulfilling moment for me that I will never forget.  Below are some photos.  ENJOY!!!!!  Can't wait to begin our next initiative.


We filled up 2 cubicles!!


Everyone was involved including my daughter!


We used 2 trucks, a mini van and an SUV to transport it all!


This is a few of us at the Central Elementary School!

Way to go my friends!!!!!!!!! - Shosh

Comments

Unknown said…
Great Job Shoshana!