Artists That Rock Beyond Time

My Grandfather was an amazing painter (oil and watercolor). He worked and lived art. He was the one who took the laugh lines out of old celebrity photos, touched up movie posters, and added the cup of Folgers to the still photo of the man in the suit and the mother of three. This was all before computers could touch up anything. In his spare time he created many inspiring pieces. He always smelt of ink and the tips of his fingernails were black. He was an incredible source of creativity for me. When he passed away he left me his collection of pipes and books on some of the greatest artists including Degas, Picasso, Chagall, Lautrec and Corot to name a few. I love sitting down with those books and reading them cover to cover. I get a bit carried away on the subject but I am a lefty and truly appreciate how incredibly talented they are. Last year I spent three and a half hours at the Philadelphia Museum of Art by myself and didn't make it through all the exhibits. Below are some of my my 'Old School' favorites. Enjoy!


Edgar Degas- 'The Star'
Love the point of view -he was looking down on her. And the colors. This is pastel on paper.



Pablo Picasso in his Rose Period - 'At the Lapin Agile (harlequin w/ glass)'
Interesting fact about this painting: Picasso shows himself dressed as a harlequin, which, in the 19th century, symbolized artistry. The guitar player in the background is assumed to be Père Frédé, owner of the Lapin Agile and father of Margot Frédé, the woman with the crow. What is he thinking..and what is she thinkg?




Marc Chagall - 'Vision de Paris'

Chagall is known for his abstract post-impressionist style with biblical undertones that embodies a deep passion for life. I admire the color combinations and whimsical strokes. He captures pieces of diff. scenes in one picture.



Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - La Goulue Arriving at the Moulin Rouge w/ Two WomenLa Goulue Arriving at the Moulin Rouge with Two Women
His artwork is loved by many. He used bold strokes. I love the overly confident snooty facial expression.



Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot - Canteleu Near Rouen
Known for his landscapes. I just plain like how realistic his trees look. Seriously, he has a steady hand & shows his passion w/in each piece.


Decadently yours,


Shoshana

Comments